Tiwala Kids and Communities got off to a bright start this year, and we’re excited to share some of the ways God is already working in Tiwala in 2017! Here are a few of the highlights:
- More than 100 children are diligently participating in our Saturday STEP classes. These weekly classes run in four communities and aim at helping build character in the lives of the children by emphasizing on eight character traits that are essential in their spiritual growth and personal development. It is a lot of work, but also a great blessing for us to be able to run these programs for so many children.
- Our seventeen full scholars continue to do well in school, with half of them are now rated within the top ten of their classes. In addition to this, their parents reported inour January 9 meeting that their children are becoming more responsible at home active in participating in school activities. God is working!
- With the help and support of The Patatas, a Singaporean-based social enterprise, Tiwala continues to offer Digi-Eskwela to seventy children from poor families. This project involves using educational tablets to provide supplemental digital instruction in Math and English. These children continue to show great interest in Digi-Eskwela.
- We are also reaching out to more teens and pre-teens through our Saturday youth group sessions. We have been granted approval to use a community hall for these sessions. The hall is centrally located, which is important because it will only be a short walk for attendees from four villages. The aim of the youth group sessions is to share God’s Word as well as to offer a discipleship opportunity to the children.
- Thanks to the generosity of a number of individuals and groups, Tiwala will be distributing to children and families four boxes of donations-in-kind, such as school supplies, toys, clothes, and hygiene packs. We are so thankful to those who shared their blessings with us, because these are necessary supplies for the children and families we work with.
In February, we will be starting our expressive arts class in one community to extend the benefits of arts therapy to thirty children. We are excited to apply what we learned last year from the trainers’ workshops conducted by The Red Pencil International. The expressive arts sessions aim to provide a safe space for children to express their emotions, foster self-awareness and nurture creativity.
Celebrating a Milestone
This year is a special one for Tiwala as we celebrate our 10th anniversary in March. We are amazed at how God has faithfully led and used Tiwala to reach out to thousands of children and families through the years. We are all excited as we plan and prepare for the anniversary celebrations.
As we look forward to all that God has in store for us this year, we are ever mindful of the reason why we do what we do: build strong foundations in the lives of poor children and families by sharing God’s Word and extending practical help. We desire to see them all experience God’s love and plan for their lives so that they too can bless others.
Thank you for partnering with us in this ministry. May the Lord also make your 2017 bright and beautiful.